• Address
  • Phone
  • Email
  • Timing
  • Social

New Ontario residents

Driving School > News > New Ontario residents

If you are a new resident of Ontario and have a valid driver’s licence from another province or country, you can use that licence for 60 days in Ontario. If you want to continue to drive after 60 days, you must get an Ontario driver’s licence.

Ontario has licence-exchange agreements with every Canadian province and territory (including Canadian Forces Europe). There are also agreements with Australia, Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Great Britain, Ireland, the Isle of Man, Japan, New Zealand, Northern Ireland, Republic of Korea, Switzerland, Taiwan and the United States.

Drivers will receive a full Class G licence, provided they have an equivalent class licence. If you have fewer than two years of driving experience, you may get credit for your experience and enter Level Two of the graduated licensing system. Once you have a total of two years of driving experience, you may take the Level Two road test to earn full driving privileges.

Licence Exchange for Non-reciprocating Jurisdictions
All applicants for an Ontario driver’s licence are required to present a valid foreign driver’s licence pass a vision test, a knowledge test, pay all applicable fees and provide acceptable proof of identity.

Applicants who fulfil these requirements can obtain a G1 licence. The applicant may take their G1 exit test with 12 months of combined Ontario and foreign experience.
The 12-month waiting period will be reduced to eight months with the successful completion of a ministry-approved, beginner driver education course.
Applicants are required to provide adequate proof of foreign-licensed driving experience. However, the ministry may accept an applicant’s declaration of their foreign-licensed driving experience for up to 12 months.
For more than 12 months’ experience, applicants must provide an authenticated letter from their embassy/ consulate or licencing agency in English or French. A full 24 months of Ontario and foreign experience is required prior to attempting their G2 exit test.
Only experience within the past three years may be credited.
Driving customs vary from place to place. That is why experienced drivers from other countries should familiarize themselves with Ontario’s laws. The Official MTO Driver’s Handbook and the Ministry of Transportation website are great resources.